Keep their PAWS away this holiday
Halloween is upon us, bring on the candy! With the holidays come an influx of enticing edibles that could be dangerous to dogs and cats. Here’s a quick recap of what to avoid:
One of our staff member’s fondest childhood Thanksgiving memories is walking into the dining room to find her Brittany Spaniel on top of the table gulping down a stick of butter. He survived but it was a long night of in and out. Fatty Foods like butter are not toxic but consumption can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and gas, and can result in pancreatitis and gastrointestinal issues.
The most commonly known food to keep away from your pet, why would we want to share anyway?
*If your pet is sneaky and gets into a holiday box of chocolate covered cherries take them to the vet immediately as cherries are very toxic to pets.
The same Spaniel that devoured the stick of butter also got fed way too much roasted turkey one year. He had his human father wrapped around his paw and he begged and got fed, which resulted in an after Thanksgiving emergency vet visit. A little plain turkey is ok, but not more than a couple of bites a day. Overdoing it and your dog will show symptoms common with any type of poisoning: lethargy, shortness of breath, and vomiting
All nuts aren’t the best thing for your pet to snack on with a high salt content, but Macadamia Nuts especially as they’re very toxic to pets.
Grapes and Raisins
Keep an extra eye on the charcuterie plate, grapes and raisins can cause kidney issues in dogs and cats. Even small amounts can result in lethargy, shivers and a decreased appetite. More extreme cases of grape poisoning can cause kidney failure. There isn’t an exact amount of these foods that must be ate in order to cause them to get sick, some react to just a few and others have a high tolerance. If they end up consuming grapes or raisins a trip to the vet is needed immediately.
We wish everyone a happy and healthy holiday season! Now seriously, bring on the candy!